The Centenary Arts Building, commonly known by the students as the CAB, was completed on the5th May 1993.
Its opening by Professor G. V. H. Wilson, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Central Queensland, marked the end of the school’s centenary year celebrations. This building was renamed the Maud Bendall Centenary Arts Building in honour of all the work this past Principal did to achieve it’s completion for our centenary year. Maud attended Girls Grammar and was the Helen E Downs Prefect and Dux of the School in 1941. She began teaching at Girls Grammar in 1959 and became Principal in 1977. Maud concluded her career at Girls Grammar in 1989, but the impact of her innovation and forward thinking is still being felt today.
The building consists of 3 floors: the upper floor serves as a Japanese classroom; Audio-Visual Rooms, the middle floor as the Home Economic and Hospitality kitchens and function room, and the lower floor is the Music school.
The sewing room is used by many students to complete many textile projects and assignments, while theory lessons are conducted in the Audio-Visual room. The Japanese class room is also located on the top floor of the CAB.
Cooking classes are conducted on the middle floor, with two fully equipped kitchens serving both Home Economics and Hospitality students. A comfortable dining area is used for the girls to present their meals and learn about the Hospitality industry.
The lower floor is the Music School, which has a large practice room for the choir and orchestra, and many smaller individual practice rooms for private lessons. Music can be undertaken as a classroom subject or through private tuition at Girls Grammar. The music school has a large array of instruments available for students to learn, and there are many musical ensembles for students to join, such as the Senior and Junior Choirs and smaller instrumental groups.
An Undercover area has been added adjacent to the CAB, which has softfall for shaded sports and is well used for open air functions.