Director of Boarding and Student Welfare

March 29, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Boarding Term 1 Overview

What an excellent start to the 2018 school year and all I can say is it has been nothing less than extraordinary! Comprising of ten weeks, it seems just yesterday we were coming together as the RGGS Community at our welcome BBQ on the Terrace. As I reflect upon all that we have accomplished in the boarding house, you will agree we have squeezed in a great deal, including co – curricular, club sports, cultural events, weekend activities, exam preparation, assignments and much more.

At the commencement of term one, we welcomed 20 new boarding students to the boarding community. It is always a difficult time for our new boarders as they struggle with home sickness, a new environment, new classes and teachers. I am very proud of our new boarders and congratulate them on how well they have settled in.

Our boarding activities program during term one was a great success with the girls engaged in a range of activities. As I explained in my first Boarding Bulletin for the year, I have a focus in 2018 to engage the boarders in a variety of age appropriate weekend activities, get them out and about and away from their screens and online world, I believe this has been achieved during term one with high participation in most activities. Some highlights for the term included the Slip & Slide on the oval, the “Giving Back” weekend where the girls cooked over 150 brownies and delivered them to our emergency services workers, the Glitz and Glamour Mocktails for years 11 and 12, the car maintenance course, the year level dinners and the Queens Baton Relay event, just to name a few.

It has been a busy but rewarding term for our boarders and I would like to congratulate each girl for a wonderful start to the year. I can honestly say our girls are happy and settled and I thank the boarding staff for their exceptional care during the term.

Wishing you all a happy and safe holiday and I look forward to welcoming the girls back for term two on the 16 April, as the boarders return day with classes commencing on Tuesday 17 April.

Student Welfare Information 

There has been much written in the media lately about supporting young people regarding cyber safety and the online world. Here at Girls Grammar we have been proactive and have developed a partnership with our local Police. Sn Sgt Kellie Hansen, Officer in charge of Rockhampton Police Station, joined our Care Mentors at a breakfast and discussed the possibilities of cyber safety talks for parents/ students from our local Police.

Week 5 we welcomed Detective Sgt Angus Kerr who spoke with our Year 7 – 10 students regarding online safety. Although we have much to do in this area of protecting and educating our girls regarding online safety, I believe we have made it a priority for 2018 and we will continue to work with our Technology staff and other local experts in getting up to date information.

Bernadette Hyde-Mewburn