A word from our Principal

July 2, 2018 at 8:37 am

The first half of the year draws to a close and with it a chance to reflect on a great six months at Girls Grammar.

A big highlight for me has been the chance to get back into the classroom.  It reminds me that core to what we do is teaching and learning.  I have the chance to go on this journey with a truly wonderful group of young women who are engaging, intelligent and who also have the capacity to surprise me with their wit and humour.  I see how they apply themselves to their work. I see their determination to succeed and I know these are qualities not just limited to my class.  These are the characteristics of so many of our girls who are taking advantage of the considerable opportunities they have at Girls Grammar.

Our Year 12 students have led the way.  From the start of the year when they took their first tentative steps into leadership to their formal where they emerged as beautiful young women – the Year 12 class has been getting about the job well.  They have raised money, coordinated Mocktails and semi formals.  They have Relayed for Life, collected for the Salvos, helps the primary girls at Cross Country.  They have prepared for QISSN, played Touch Football judged cattle.  They have sung in choirs, performed in dance and debated with fire.

As we enter the second part of the year, we encourage our girls to keep their eye on the main game – setting yourself up for the best start at a future.  In the next 16 weeks of school, I encourage you to spend the extra time at your desk, complete the extra exercises, commit to your studies.  In the next months, we have important work to do – Core Skills, final exams.

We are looking forward to what promises to be a great semester and we will also welcome 9 new students from a range of backgrounds and places.  It is great to see the enthusiasm each of these girls has shown for starting their Girls Grammar journey.

They will become a part of a community – one that celebrated in style at our recent Race Day.  It was my privilege to tour the school on the Sunday with the 20 year reunion group – (and a couple of 10 years).  I am always struck by the sense of camaraderie these women have after so many years.

It was a wonderful opportunity for me to attend the ICPA conference in Winton recently.  Not only did I get the chance to go back through Emerald – my first posting as a graduate teacher, I got to catch up with a few familiar faces from Alpha, Clermont and the Dawson Valley.  The ICPA is a great advocate for education of rural and remote children and it’s important we support them in their work.

11 weeks certainly proved to be a big term. I want to wish our QISSN team all the best for the upcoming competition in Townsville and thanks Ms Kate Lang for her work with the team.   We start Semester 2 with our delayed Sports Carnivals.  Ms Doherty will accompany the All Schools OzTag team to Brisbane at the end of week 1.  We will also prepare for Rockhampton District Trials in Athletics.  A busy start which will lead up to the announcement of the Australian Educator Awards in August, we we are one of eight finalists in the Regional School of the Year.

I hope that you have a restful break and time with your children and families.  If there is rain – I hope it is beneficial to you and that the frosts don’t hit too hard.  We look forward to seeing you all in Semester 2.