RGGS Weekly Roundup – Term 3 Week 5

August 24, 2018 at 2:45 pm

It has been another week of celebration of our girls achievements at Girls Grammar.  I was very pleased to be able to attend the Reflections art show this week.  This exhibition of student work has been prepared by Mrs Hanasy-Cheers.  It is a wonderful display of the talents of our girls.  I was extremely impressed with the quality of the work and very much so by the work of some of our younger girls.  It’s a great example of what passionate teaching and love for a subject can produce.   Thank you to all involved.

Congratulations to all of our girls who participated in the recent Capricornia Athletics Trials in Emerald – it’s a huge commitment of time.  I would like to acknowledge all of the girls and their parents for their efforts.  Particular congratulations go to the four athletes who were selected in the Capricornia team  – two from Year 10 – Jayme and Abigail and two from Year 12 – Sherri and Jemma. Good luck to all of you for the next stage.  It goes to show that a small school environment is no barrier to excellence in sport.

We have also had some other outstanding sporting/artistic achievements  – with Macey (Year 11) in the State Baton Twirling and Bridie (Year 5) competing in the National PhysiPole Aerials this weekend.

It’s Book Week  – a celebration of all things reading. Thank you to Mrs Donaldson who has steered the helm of the celebrations from the library.  With everything form the inter-house reading challenge to scavenger hunt to the Book Week costume parade, it certainly is a highlight of the school year.  I have been spending some time looking for inspiration for a costume and have been amazed by some of the stand outs on Facebook over the course of the week.  These will surely be matched by the efforts of our girls today.  For me, can I say thank goodness for the Harry Potter series which makes an old academic gown a great costume! Photos will be uploaded to our Website Photo Gallery shortly

Last weekend, Mr Edwards, Mrs Hyde-Mewburn, Mr Borg, Mr Ross Johnson and I represented Girls Grammar at the Australian Educator Awards.  Whilst we did not come away with the final trophy – it was certainly a great honour to be in a room of some of the most outstanding schools in the nation.  It was a privilege to be able to fly the Girls Grammar flag in such company.  Congratulations to Kangaroo Island Community College who took out our category.

As we head into a Boarder’s long weekend, I hope that all the girls have a chance to recoup and prepare for the second half of the term.  The next two weeks will be amongst some of the most important in our Year 12 students’ schooling – with an exam block followed by Core Skills Testing in Week 7.  I cannot stress enough the importance of staying focused and on task.  There is time enough for rest and parties later in the year.  Right now, we need to be honed in on preparing a solid foundation for our futures.  I wish all the girls the best for their exam block.

Mrs Christine Hills (Principal)