A Word from our Principal

August 31, 2018 at 10:30 am

The week began early this week with a full day of Optiminds on Sunday.  What an amazing day it was.  Girls Grammar led the way not only hosting the event but participating very successfully.  My congratulations go to all the girls who competed. I’d also like to recognise the efforts of the many parents who supported and assisted on the day – with our teams and our hosting duties.  Congratulations to our winners, Highly Commanded team and the Spirit Award winners.  We look forward to seeing the progress of our year 10/11 team and our year 5 team as they travel to Brisbane to participate in the state finals.  Thank you to Mrs Gouge who led a team of staff to ensure the day was a successful one for Girls Grammar.

This week was exam block.  These exams are arguably some of the most important the year 12’s will do.  I have been impressed with the girls’ dedication to their studies and I suspect there has been much midnight oil burnt this week.  Thank you to Dr Fry for co-ordinating the exam block and ensuring our girls are in line with QCAA requirements for the end of the year.

The year 8 girls had an opportunity to participate in the QMEA Energy for the Future Challenge in Blackwater this week.  This is an opportunity available only to QMEA schools and provides the girls with the chance to work with members of industry in resource related fields.  Well done to all of the girls who took up this opportunity.

I was pleased to be able to attend the great debate between RGGS and Heights Senior teams on Wednesday night.  The topic that “Free will is an illusion” was a challenging one and I was impressed with the level of complexity in the girls’ arguments – from religion to chaos theory and every stop in between.  Our debaters have done us proud this year – Brianna, Taylor and Kailee.  It’s been inspirational to see them grow.

Our NAPLAN data was released this week and initial view of it once again affirms the quality of teaching and learning at Girls Grammar.  Once again, we lead the way in writing but the big improver this year has been numeracy.  I will include a more detailed breakdown of the results in the coming week.

Next week is camp week – and it’s a highlight of the year for many.  With girls heading to all parts of the state, it promises to be a great week of leadership, adventure and friendship.  It’s amazing how clearly I remember the camps I went to when I was at school. I hope the girls all enjoy themselves.  Our year 10 students will go to work experience during the week as well.  This is a great opportunity for them to dip their toes into the world of work!  Our year 11’s will participate in leadership activities in preparation to prefectship next year.  The year 12’s will sit the Queensland Core Skills Test under the supervision of Dr Fry.  Good luck girls – you are ready for it!

There are a number of activities for the boarders this weekend which should be a great break from the rigours of study!  Friday Night basketball, Saturday shopping, the St Brendan’s Rodeo and a trip to the new Kershaw gardens on Sunday should provide every girl at least one opportunity to get out and about this weekend.   Thank you to the Boarding Staff for their commitment to the girls.  Mrs Hyde Mewburn is on bereavement leave for the next few days with the passing of her father on Thursday.  We extend our deepest condolences to her and her family.  Mrs Rattenbury and Mrs Ung are points of contact in her absence.

Until next week