A message from our Deputy Principal

September 24, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Term 3 has been action packed and a well-deserved break is on its way! With the rescheduled athletics carnival happening in the first week it was all hands on deck from the get go. I just love the atmosphere our leaders create and thank them for their commitment to ensuring the day was fun filled and action packed for the girls. Thank you to Mr Fuller and the Sports department and every staff member who was there to lend a hand for the day. Not to be outdone, the primary carnival was an outstanding display of sportsmanship and teamwork. I enjoyed watching the girls run down the lanes and giving each other a congratulatory handshake or hug at the end. Well done girls! I am most looking forward to assisting Mr Fuller in your ribbon presentations in Week 9.

I was particularly excited about the Oratory competition this term as I have been working in a Care classroom myself. Congratulations to all of the participants in Oratory – the speeches I heard were touching, informative even humorous. I am well aware of why teacher’s ‘duck and roll’ when they see you in the shopping centre. Thanks for that one Arkadie!

Congratulations to Nora and her team of artists as we celebrated our art work in a wonderful public display. I was proudly standing with Nora opening this show with our budding artists and their families there. I am in awe of the work they produce and know it is from the excellent work that our Arts and Home Economics departments do.

I was very excited to attend the Book Week parade this year and happily skipped alongside my ‘Matilda’ on the day. Thank you Leanna for a wonderful morning of celebrating books and costumes. This is one of my most favourite events of the year!

This term we held Opti-MINDS at our school for the first time. RGGS has proudly been a part of Opti-MINDS for 27 years – the longest standing Rockhampton school in this district. We had a wonderful day and many volunteers to make this day a success. I must admit I may have been getting a little worried about the audience’s thoughts as I was continually announcing Rockhampton Girls Grammar as the winners! I promise I was NOT on the judging panel but to win four out of ten Spirit Awards (with 58 teams competing), two Honours awards and 2 regional winners in Language and Literacy was pretty exciting! Thank you to everyone for the amazing contribution. We head off to Brisbane to compete in the State Competition in Week 1 Term 4.

Camp week, QCS week and Year 10 work experience week was a wonderful display of what we do here at this amazing school. I personally enjoyed heading down to Noosa with our Year 8 and 9 students who challenged themselves each and every day. I really enjoyed spending time with the girls – as did the other teachers. Thank you to our staff who contributed to this week.

RUOK? Day was a resounding success and we were very lucky to have a guest speaker from Evolve Therapeutic Services to talk with the girls about how to look after our mental health. Thank you to Sherri and her team of wonderful helpers for the day.

The last week of school brings us a lot of fun and exciting activities. At the time of writing I am looking forward to watching the work of our house leaders and their senior teams in the Inter-House Choir competition. I am also looking forward to the Performing Arts Showcase, Naarah’s Touch Carnival and the Primary Ball Games! Sounds like a heap of fun!

Enjoy the break! See you on the playground!

Mrs Gouge