Unleash the Power Within – Mikaela Jackson

September 24, 2018 at 2:10 pm

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018, I travelled to Sydney to attend the Tony Robbins Unleash the Power Within (UPW) seminar. I was accompanied by other students that are on CYLP (Cape York Leaders Program) scholarships. Kayla and I were the two representatives chosen to represent our CYLP group.

On arrival, we all introduced ourselves and eventually made our way to the motel.

Thursday, Day one of the seminar was held at the Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney. Here we met students from all over Australia and New Zealand, who were also selected to represent their groups in the Tony Robbins Youth Leadership Program called “Today’s Youth, Tomorrow’s Leaders”.

Every day was a buzz and each session consisted of inspirational and motivational talks from Tony Robbins. He inspired me in so many ways and he opened my mind to multiple options that will help me in my future studies and future careers.

Every morning we would be awakened at 5:30am and he used that as our kick start to the big, long day ahead. Each day, we attempted a multitude of events that would conclude around 12 midnight, even to 1:00 am. During the long and full on days Tony will keep us hyped up so that we didn’t falter and feel the need to fall asleep. He would awake our senses by calling out “LET’S CELEBRATE!” then fun music began to play as everyone in the crowds started dancing in their aisles.

On the first night, we were told that we were going to walk on fire. There were 50 rows of hot coals lined up outside of the central arena. All participants at The UPW seminar were invited to become a fire walker. This challenge made those who attempted The Fire Walk to build personal confidences and to prove to oneself that if you try hard enough, you can literally achieve anything. At first, I was quite scared about doing The Fire Walk. In my head were words from Tony’s motivational talks and these words inspired me to challenge myself, face my fears and give The Fire Walk a go. I did walk over the coals as if there was not heat beneath my feet. It didn’t hurt as I thought it might and I was amazed and proud that I took the challenge. It felt as if nothing was beneath my feet. I could hear a saying that Tony likes to challenge attendees with which is “If you can walk on fire, you can do anything”.

Over the four days I had learnt so many new things about myself and so many new strategies to move through life with. I was like a new person and that new person is me. I also met lots of new people and that was a fabulous and fun experience. Out of all the people I met , I felt I made a solid new friend. I now have a friendship circle that includes participants from all over the world. As one of Tony’s ways to meet someone new, he would ask everyone to go and give and receive hugs and do high fives with ten people you have never met before. This was a great way to expand my friendship circle and boost my personal confidences.

There were challenges and surprises and lots of hard work each day but one of the BEST and MOST amazing surprises that Tony organised, was the chance to see Jessica Mauboy perform in the Arena.

The last day saw us playing a multitude of mixed groupings in a series of multiple activities that improved our team building skills and reinforced key strategies. The UPW presenters taught us each day.

That last day was so emotional! All participants and presenters had to say their last goodbyes to each other and then we all left Sydney to go our separate ways.

I believe this was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in my life! I learned so much from Tony and his business partner Joseph McClendon.

I would like to say that I am keen to stay motivated and am looking forward to being able to attend another UPW Seminar in the near future.

Mikaela Jackson (Year 10)