A word from our Acting Principal

February 22, 2019 at 3:20 pm

WHICH TEAM ARE YOU CHEERING FOR?

I always love the anticipation and lead up to a school carnival. The girls are excited, the teachers are in training and the event program is being scrutinised. Which leads me to the question which team are you cheering for? Are you as passionate as the house leaders and cheering for every girl in your house or are you excited for your friend who has finally kicked a goal and reached the end of the pool? Perhaps your heart is with the teachers in the senior versus teacher race, where yet again our teachers were victorious! I believe that whoever you’re cheering for must appreciate the comradery and support you’re offering, and I want to encourage you to continue cheering well beyond the end of the race for each other. Congratulations to Mr Fuller and the staff for the fantastic day and a special mention to our amazing house prefects who led their team with passion and enthusiasm. Whilst I was not able to be there on the day as I was attending a Cap Sport trial (that was rescheduled and clashed with our event), I was certainly there in spirit. Good luck to all houses for the big reveal on assembly next week.

We are about to hit the half way point of the term. Many assessment tasks have been delivered and examinations have been prepared ready for exam block in Week 8. This can sometimes lead to extra pressure and an increase in worry. On the pupil free day our teachers participated in a mindfulness session that included techniques of yogalates to build strategies to reduce stress and pressure. Girls are you keeping an eye on this? There are people here you can turn to when you are feeling under pressure. We want you to let us know so that we can support you.

This week we have celebrated the outcomes of the graduating class of 2018 regarding academic gains from their Year 9 NAPLAN results taken in 2015 compared to their OP outcomes. The results indicate that we are within the Top 5% in the state for student gain. I couldn’t be prouder of our newest ‘old girls’ and the staff that supported and mentored them every day! Above all, I hope they remember the journey whilst learning at Rockhampton Girls Grammar and feel confident to embark on the next part of their chapter with the skills they have learnt at our beautiful school.  Congratulations RGGS!

This weekend our enrolments team is heading out west to meet new families and connect with our existing families. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing our fantastic results and programs with our rural neighbours. I will be spreading the word about how special our place is here. If we are stopping near you, please pop in and say hello!

Congratulations to Molly for her successful selection in the Capricornia Water Polo Team, Leah for her selection in the Capricornia Softball Team and Tylah for her selection in the Rockhampton Netball Team! Well done girls.

I hope that you enjoyed your week as much as I have! My door is always open. I encourage you to talk with me. Girls – I will see you on the playground.

Mrs Michelle Gouge (Acting Principal)