WHAT ARE WE LIKE? – A word from our Acting Principal

March 1, 2019 at 3:24 pm

This week on assembly I shared with the girls what I say about them when the enrolments team go on Tour. As you may be aware, the team travelled out to Biloela, Theodore, Moura and Emerald last weekend. I am often asked about our girls and what they are like. It is difficult to bottle up and package what it is about our girls here. How do you explain to prospects what they are like, what the school is like? The girls are kind and funny and quirky. They are sporty, clever and caring. They are culturally diverse. They sing and play and garden. Some come from the country, some in town, some from another country! They are emotional. They thank me for teaching them as I walk out the door.  They make mistakes and learn from them. They are encouraged to speak up, not just get things ‘fixed’ for them. They are building skills to work together in a community. They are passionate and quiet and friendly. They are lifelong learners. No, they are not robots. They are not perfect and void of personality. Sometimes we disagree, sometimes we are mean to one another, but what safer place than Girls Grammar is there to learn how to negotiate these social skills of life? This culture that is surrounding us here is special. The mutual respect the girls and staff have for one another is what sets us apart from the rest. That’s what I tell them. That’s why families want to send their girls here. I wish I had of!

Our social media profile this term is hitting record numbers for our school. Miss Conway-Dodd is working on our community and alumni needs and is keeping you updated on events and happenings around our school. Please take the time to like our pages and be a part of the messages. I love reading your messages of support and the pride you share for the school.

We have several high achievers this week and we celebrate their accomplishments with them! Congratulations to Daisy H for her Rockhampton Districts Hockey selection and Abigail H and Abby D for their Touch Football Rockhampton Districts selection. Jarrah T has qualified for the Rockhampton Districts Netball team and we have three students successful at the Rockhampton Districts Volleyball trials – Tina P, Jessica C and Danielle G. Congratulations to Cheyenne T for her selection in the Rockhampton Districts Soccer team. Taylor B also performed exceptionally well at the Lions Youth of the Year Quest, taking out the Public Speaking Award and Club Winner for 2019!  Macey K has also been short listed in the Empowering Young Women’s Award for the CQ Women in Business Awards. Well done girls.

I hope that you enjoyed your week as much as I have! My door is always open. I encourage you to talk with me. Girls – I will see you on the playground.

Mrs Michelle Gouge (Acting Principal)