I AM WOMAN – A word from our Acting Principal

March 8, 2019 at 3:32 pm

There truly is no better place to celebrate International Women’s Day than at a single sex, all female school. Having attended an all-girls school myself, I have never forgotten the comradery and connection I felt as I wandered the school verandas, participated in sporting teams and debated against the boy’s school down the road! We have had a wonderful week of celebration which started with an excellent presentation and inspiring clip from Humanities Prefect, Dakota C. She then introduced us to Goldstar Commodities (Grain and Cotton Brokers), Jean Cottam, who discussed with the girls her experiences in the Agricultural industry and how she has paved her way as a leader in her field.

On Thursday, members of the executive team, our head girls, Zonta finalist Taylor B, Dakota and our Year 11 leaders attended the Zonta International Women’s Day breakfast. It was a treat to listen to guest speaker Professor Kerry Reid-Searl who introduced us to her unique prosthetic program to assist with training health professionals. Her invention has gone worldwide, and she is an inspiring example of a local lady who has turned her passion and idea into the success it is today. It was wonderful to see old girl, Michelle Landry at the event. The girls have participated in writing International Women’s Day messages which have been both humorous and heartfelt. Happy International Women’s Day!

It was also my absolute pleasure this week to welcome our new primary families at an afternoon tea. I put our new families to task and sought feedback about how we are going. The kind and thoughtful messages to our teachers have been shared with them. Thank you for being a part of our community and sharing with us your experiences. The very next day there was a roar of the school war cry, led by our prefects in the dining hall at first break. It was filled to the brim with our new secondary girls, each of them having the opportunity to introduce. We really have a diverse group of girls here at RGGS. I had a goose bump moment as my ears were ringing with the sound of the war cry. Thank you, girls, for embracing our community.

We have several high achievers this week and we celebrate their accomplishments with them! Congratulations Jaime-Lee on your selection in the Rockhampton Districts Basketball team. We all know how much I love basketball! This week we awarded Keeley and Payten S for their selection in the Australian Trans Challenge Barrel Racing team, with both girls performing exceptionally well in the three events which required them to ride on an unfamiliar horse. Keely gained two firsts and a third and Payten was awarded two thirds and a fourth. Absolutely wonderful accomplishment. Miss Hyde-Mewburn had the pleasure of awarding Raven the QATSIF scholarship award. It is a privilege to have her as a member of our school community.

I hope that you enjoyed your week as much as I have! My door is always open. I encourage you to talk with me. Girls – I will see you on the playground.

Mrs Michelle Gouge (Acting Principal)